Saturday, June 8, 2019

Day 3: The ups and downs of hospitalization

The title of this blog post is a bit misleading. There really are no "ups" of hospitalization but I take little wins when I can get them.

In this case, the little win was being able to get outside for a few minutes to enjoy some fresh air.

As I mentioned yesterday, the fluids they're giving me caused my weight to jump 13 pounds. As a result, they gave me lasix to help pass that fluid. After filling six urinals they decided to temporarily stop the lasix and the fluid, which meant I was not hooked up to the IV machine and was free to walk about the "cabin."

Gage and Jackson stopped by for a visit so they were able to accompany me outside to the Healing Garden and then we walked to the cafeteria, where I enjoyed some frozen yogurt.

Other than that, my day was pretty standard.

I wake up, eat breakfast, and then put in my workout. That consists of five laps around the hallway, some bodyweight squats and a light band workout followed by my Muscle Milk.

Then it's on to a half hour of Spanish and 30-45 minutes of guitar, depending on how sore my fingers get.

Once I complete that routine, I usually read or write or putz around the room looking for something else to do.

I'm feeling good despite a bout of nausea yesterday. They have me on an anti-nausea medication that is supposed to last 48 hours but yesterday I needed an extra dose of Compazine.

I enjoyed my visitors, which included Erin Moriarty-Hill, Jackson, Gage, Paulette and a late visitor in George Ward, who took the midnight shift.

My chemo for today already has finished so I have just one more dose to go tomorrow and then it's two days off to prepare for the transplant on Wednesday.

Once again, thanks to Brenda Brigham-Bracken and her husband Jim for the nice blanket and healing stone they sent my way and to Erin for the book and other goodies.

Fortunately, there isn't much else to report. It was a pretty good day overall.

I am hoping to be free from the IV hookup today but we'll wait to see what the doctors say when they make their rounds.

My weight did balance out and I'm actually about a half pound less than when I came in, so that's a good sign.

Hopefully, all goes well today and I'll get some freedom to get outside for some fresh air and to help pass the time.

Today is Saturday and I have big plans. I might stretch my walk to six laps today and dinner could be Uber Eats!

Stay well, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment