Friday, June 7, 2019

Day 2: Boredom, Bloating and Beeping

Day 2 of my adventure in CAR-T therapy was rather uneventful, short of receiving my first dose of chemotherapy.

The day began with a physical therapist coming in for an evaluation. She put me through some strength and balance tests and had me walk for six minutes in the hallway.

The rest of the day was filled with the usual vital sign checks every three hours and my regular dosage of IV fluids. I also received my first dose of chemotherapy.

As you can imagine, the IV infusion machine was working hard and beeping almost non-stop. It's annoying but at some point, it becomes background noise.

I'm more annoyed by the non-stop drip of fluids. I weight in this morning 13 pounds heavier than what they weighed me at yesterday and it isn't because I hit the buffet at Golden Corral. Hospital food isn't that filling nor is it enjoyable enough to overindulge. I'm feeling very bloated and my eyes and hands are more swollen than normal.

I did, however, have an enjoyable dinner thanks to my friend George Ward, who made a special arrangement. I ordered Steak au Poivre, which isn't on the normal menu. It came with asparagus and roasted garlic mashed potatoes. It hit the spot.

A few hours after the conclusion of my chemo drip I began to feel the first effects. It's similar to what you feel when you have the flu. It's an uncomfortable feeling but I can still function. Day 2 after chemo is usually the hardest but since I'm getting four straight days of chemo I'm not sure what day is going to hit me the hardest.

There was a bit of a schedule change but only due to an error on the calendar they provided us with. They included two June 7 and two June 8, which means everything after those days was pushed back by two.

Instead of having my infusion on Monday, June 10 as listed on the calendar, it will be Wednesday, June 12. That means after my four days of chemo I'll have two "rest" days. It also means the target date for release will be pushed back by two.

I spent the day chatting with Paulette, reading, writing, listening to some music and wallowing in self-pity for a bit. 

After Paulette left, I was able to take a shower, which was refreshing and then I wound down the day watching a bit of TV.

I'm starting to get the lay of the land in terms of when they're coming in for vital sign checks, fluid changes and blood draws, so I timed my sleep around those inconveniences.

I went to bed after the 11:15 p.m. vital sign checks and slept until 3:00 a.m. when they came back to change my fluids and again check vitals. I fell back asleep quickly and woke up in time for the 6:00 a.m. checks. I tried to get back to sleep but that didn't work so I was up for the day around 6:30.

Throughout the day I may catch a wink or two, depending on how I feel. I'm hoping to be granted permission to get outside for some fresh air before my blood counts dip, which will force me to avoid contact with other human germ factories.

I'm still working on a recliner. I haven't given up but at the same time, I don't want to be a burden to my nursing staff. They're already overworked and I appreciate all their efforts. 

With the schedule change, that does allow for a couple more days before the transfusion if anyone wants to stop by.

Please check with me so I don't have too many people in the room at once. The unofficial hospital rule is two guests at a time but it's not strictly enforced. There are a couple of rules we do have to abide by:
  • Please do not visit if you are sick or might have a cold or other illness.
  • Ensure that children who visit are supervised by an adult other than the patient.
  • Keep voices low.
  • Do not bring latex balloons to the cancer center.
  • No live plants.
I already have finished my chemo for today and the nurse told me they turned down my fluids due to the weight gain so hopefully, that will balance out and get back to normal.

Today, I have big plans.

I'm going to walk my laps, put in my band workout, read, write, listen to music and watch TV.  I also have my Spanish and guitar lessons to get through.

Finally, I'd like to thank Mary McLellan Winfield for her generous gift an UBER Eats gift card! Mary and I met in first grade at Garfield Elementary School and went to school together for the next 12 years.

It was a generous gift and I appreciate her thinking of me. Outside meals will come in handy in a few days after I've gotten through the limited hospital menu.

Enjoy your day and I'll try to keep in touch with the outside world via Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment