Friday, July 20, 2012

Gunman kills 12 in Colorado movie theater - CNN.com

Gunman kills 12 in Colorado movie theater - CNN.com

Following last night's shooting at a movie theater in Colorado we're bound to hear from the NRA and other gun supporters that guns don't people, people kill people.

The Flintlock Pistol 
We'll hear about the Second Amendment, which protects our right to bear arms.

We've heard the argument before and the rhetoric won't change.

What we haven't heard enough of is the interpretation of that amendment back when it was adopted in 1791. Did our forefathers predict that almost 100 years after signing the Constitution the automatic weapon would be introduced?

Back in 1791 our soldiers were firing weapons at a rate of about three shots per minute. The Colorado shooter reportedly carried with him an AK47, a weapon that fires about 600 rounds per minute.

I'm not simply an "anti-gun wuss."

I served in the military and fired many types of weapons. I even served as my unit's Armorer (small weapons repairman).

Today, I don't own weapons. I don't hunt, I don't target shoot and I don't ever want to see my children injured because they were playing with a weapon they found in the house.

I'm all for a person's right to bear arms...but let's use some common sense. We aren't hunting turkeys with an AK47.

No comments:

Post a Comment