Thursday, June 27, 2019

My Free College Plan


Wednesday's debate between 10 of the 20-plus Democrats running for president once again put the concept of "free college" on the big stage. I already have a plan for that.

I'm glad to see so many others now embracing this concept. I just wish they'd approach it the best way.

Here's my plan (I won't be running for president...don't need all my skeletons coming out of the closet):
  1. Eliminate the Pell Grant program. I can't remember the stats as I looked them up a long, long time ago, but it's somewhere around 55-60-percent of Pell Grant recipients fail to graduate. We're literally burning money.
  2. Community colleges and trade schools are free for four-year degrees. Some community colleges would have to adapt to add four-year programs, but I think that's possible. Ron Slinger, am I right?
  3. Public four-year colleges and private schools remain as they are. Anyone can still attend rather than to choose the free option but they'd pay tuition. There would be no vouchers or any other subsidy provided. Free options exist. Use them or you don't. Your choice. Everyone has the same option.
  4. No more subsidized student loans either.
By eliminating the Pell Grant and the subsidized student loan program, we'd more than pay for the free college program. I did the math, although it was a bit elementary (and I went to Kent State), but the money is there.

We'd also create more jobs and tax revenue in local communities. That strengthens the local communities, which in turn strengthens counties and states as a whole.

We're also creating a brighter and better-educated workforce.

No comments:

Post a Comment