Monday, June 17, 2019

Day 12: Halfway Point?

Father's Day fell on the 12th day of my hospital stay. It also marked what could be the midpoint of my extended visit.

I do not have a guaranteed discharge date and I won't have a locked-down date until I'm out of the woods in regards to side effects and my blood counts and other numbers are within normal.

The counts are almost where they need to be. My blood counts have held steady although my platelets are dropping due to the Lovenox shots forced by the blood clot in my right underarm.

Other than that, it's simply waiting to get through that 7-10 day window when side effects most often appear.

Today is T+5, which means it's the fifth day after the transplant. That leaves approximately five days of that side effects window. That doesn't mean side effects can't appear after that 10-day window, but they most often occur during the first 7-10 days after transplant.

If I cruise through that 10-day period without side effects, I'll likely get discharged earlier for good behavior. If not, then I could see a couple of days added on to my sentence.

Big shoutout to Matt Burt for visiting yesterday. It's always fun to catch up with one of my closest high school friends and over the past 10 years, we have reconnected. He was actually the first person I saw after my first stem cell transplant.

He brought several treats, including some homemade peanut butter and jelly from the West Side Market along with beef jerky and bacon from the market. He also provided me with the trophy that appears at the top of this blog!

My family also stopped up--Paulette, Michael and his fiancee, Gage, Jackson, Chelsey and my niece Maddy.

After that, I watched a bad movie (seems all I can get are bad movies and bad food) and then for the first time I asked for nighttime meds to help me sleep. I went to bed at 10 and woke up at 3:00 a.m. for my blood draw then put my head back on the pillow and woke up this morning at 8:00. 

It was a great night of sleep.

My plan for today is to stay busy and focused on getting out of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment