Sunday, June 16, 2019

Day 11: I'm Pretty Much a Rock Star

No, the headline isn't misleading. I'm pretty much a rock star.

My goals coming into this hospital stay were to keep myself busy by reading, writing, learning Spanish and finally checking off another bucket list item by learning to play the guitar.

Yesterday, I played my first guitar riff, so that means I'm basically a rock star.



View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Steve Hare (@stevehare24) on

Sure, I screwed up after just one note but that's because my PICC line got caught on the top of the guitar and I couldn't strum correctly. And yes, it was only seven notes on one string but I did it! I made recognizable noise on a guitar!

Sadly, that was the highlight of another uneventful day and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I slept well the night before so I woke up energized and ready to tackle whatever I could get myself into.

I watched a couple of World Cup games while keeping myself busy with some work on my website--the typical maintenance stuff I do during the summer--and I got in my laps in the lonesome hallways.

Paulette and the kids--including nieces Alex and Maddy--visited me early in the evening and brought me Skyline Chili so I could avoid the mystery meat from the hospital kitchen.

Now that I can't leave the floor my dining options are limited. Despite the generosity of so many who donated gift cards to Uber Eats, Deliver Me Food, etc., I can't order if I'm by myself as there would be nobody to run downstairs to meet the driver.

It's OK though, I have enough visitors where I can work it out and I always have my fallback of Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches that are edible from the kitchen.

I received a visit from Mr. Cardinal, Scott Fortenbury. He stopped in to check in on me. Thanks for doing so.

I went to bed after my midnight vital signs check and woke up around 3:15 a.m. when I had my morning blood draw. I couldn't get back to sleep and after my 4:00 a.m. vital signs check I decided to wake up and patrol the hallways.

There really is no point in staring at the ceiling more than I have to. I'd rather do something productive and get the sleep I need in small chunks throughout the day.

I was surprised to open my email and see a message from Dr. Friedman. It came in at 12:09 a.m. I don't believe he ever sleeps.

He was just checking after hearing I had my CAR-T transplant on Wednesday.

It means a lot to receive a message like that when I know he has so many other patients he's actively caring for.

Despite being in the care of other doctors, Dr. Friedman remains a big reason I'm so confident in this process.

While Dr. Boughan and Dr. Kapur were less committed to CAR-T, due to its lack of long-term studies, Dr. Friedman was all-in and my 10-year relationship with him carried a heck of a lot of weight in my final decision.

Today, it's Father's Day and the family will make the trip out to see me. I'm looking forward to that.

Mary, I finally officially met your Goddaughter, Stacy. She was my overnight nurse so I only talked to her for a couple of minutes.

Happy Father's Day to all you dad's out there. Enjoy the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment