Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Day 13: Staying the Course

As I wrap up my second week here at Seidman, I can't help but think I'm getting closer to discharge.

But, I can't allow myself to look too far ahead or get too excited about the potential for a discharge on the earliest possible date (Friday, June 21).

There really is no chance to leave before Friday and I think the odds of leaving on Friday are pretty slim.

The doctors like to monitor CAR-T patients for at least 10 days after transplant, which would be the 21st.

If all goes well this week, I guess the potential exists that I could get home over the weekend.

I'm maintaining the plan that I'd get home at some point next week.

I learned my lesson the hard way during my first transplant, which took place in December 2009.

After the transplant, I had some issues with fevers and infections and blood clots but I bounced back and was close to getting home around Dec. 22. Dr. Cooper wasn't satisfied with my blood counts so the date got pushed back a day...and then another...and another...and another...until I eventually left the hospital on Dec. 26.

Those last few days were among the worst of the entire stay. My mind had already left the hospital but my body remained.

I don't want to go through that disappointment again, so I'm planning on leaving mid-week next week. If it happens earlier, I'll be happy as can be, but I'm focused on the original plan of 12-14 days after transplant.

All that said, I've had some really good days and yesterday I was more active than I have been in a while.

Typically, I max out my walks at three laps. Yesterday, I did six, then five, then four and a couple of threes. In all, I walked almost 3.5 miles, the most since I've been here.

I'm getting stronger and have a bit more endurance.

Are those signs the treatment is working? I hope so.

Knock on wood, but I haven't had any real side effects. I've had a bout with nausea each day since I've been here but yesterday was the first time I went without nausea medication.

My blood counts have held steady and my white count is climbing, which is a good sign.

I'm hoping that all continues today and throughout the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment