Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Taking a stand

Today I did something I never thought I'd do. I voted against a tax levy--actually three of them. It was my way of taking a stand.


I strolled up to the polling booth this morning and I did something I never thought I'd do. I voted against all three tax levies on my ballot.

Personally, I believe in investing in ourselves. Whether that be for roads, parks, schools or better services, I believe those things are essential to creating a desirable community. Once your roads fall apart you begin to lose business. When you lose businesses, you lose revenue and when you lose revenue your schools suffer. When the schools suffer people move to better school districts. Home values fall and everybody left in the community pays the price.

I never thought I'd vote against a tax levy, at least a reasonable one.

That all changed this morning.

I'm fed up.

A decade of living back in Geauga County has me angry with my  neighbors.

Geauga County is a predominantly Republican voting base. In fact, 75-percent of Geauga County voters cast their ballots for John Kasich in 2014. 

That's the same John Kasich that cut public school funding and restructured the remaining amount to fund for-profit charter schools. There is plenty of controversy surrounding charter schools. Not all are bad and not all are corrupt, but the ones that are certainly have affected the rest.

Berkshire's levy failed in 2014. Cardinal's failed earlier this year and it's back on the ballot today. Should it fail again, parents are going to have to shell out $1,000 for their kids to play a sport. In other words, those kids are likely going to have to transfer to another school if they want the pleasure of competing in a high school sport.

Kasich also cut funds to local communities to balance his own budget in his buildup for a presidential run. That funding began during the Great Depression when the state enacted a sales tax and reduced local municipalities' ability to generate its own revenue. The state agreed to share that sales tax and has been doing so until Kasich took office.


Burton lost $320,770. Chardon is out $182,549. Middlefield is out $130,635. South Russell, down $434,516.

Five communities in Geauga County lost over $1,000,000 thanks to Kasich yet these people continue to vote Republican.

Their schools are being marginalized. Their communities are being forced to consolidate services and soon those little towns will disappear because they're going to be forced to merge with other towns and schools. That small town life these people love is in jeopardy and it isn't due to a Democratic president or Congressman.

Kasich cut the Estate Tax. That tax affected about SEVEN-PERCENT of estates in Ohio valued at over $338,000. That tax generated over $250 million per year to local governments.
So, to ease the burden for SEVEN-PERCENT of Ohioans, Kasich cut that tax and pushed the burden onto the other NINETY-THREE PERCENT.

Yet, people still vote Republican.

What is it they don't see? What are they missing?

I'm in no way saying VOTE DEMOCRAT. I believe both sides of the aisle have their own issues.

But to blindly vote Republican is perpetuating this awful situation we find ourselves in.

I had to take a stand. I can't take it anymore.

I'm not voting for levies anymore. We all need to hit rock bottom to wake up and pay more attention.

I'm sorry school levies are failing and cuts are going to be made. I understand what it's like to pay $500 for my kids to play sports (before Berkshire combined with Ledgemont and did away with pay to participate fees...but don't worry, they'll be back).

I'm tired of voting to make up for the mistakes of others. I'm going to be selfish from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment