Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Small town restaurants

Ever since hearing a barbecue restaurant would fill the old Belle's space on the Burton Square in Burton, Ohio I have eagerly awaited the opening of The Smith. Then I was reminded how small town Burton can be.
Belle's Restaurant had been a mainstay in Burton, Ohio for decades. Then it closed and was replaced by another diner that was destined to fail from the day it opened.

After all, Burton isn't exactly known for its bustling entertainment or anything other than pancake breakfasts and antique shows. In other words, there isn't much that happens in Burton to draw the crowds to keep restaurants in business for very long.

That's why I was excited to learn an upscale barbecue restaurant would fill the vacant space on the square.

I know it's going to be tough to keep the place open but hopefully the quality will attract visitors from neighboring communities and the owners won't have to relay on a profitable fair season to keep the doors open.

The community itself certainly isn't going to sustain a higher priced restaurant on its own, although Warren's Spirited Kitchen seems to be doing well across the square.

This week I attempted to make my first stop at The Smith now that the restaurant opened its doors. The kids went trick-or-treating on Monday and we decided to stop in after their Halloween festivities came to a close.

I was to meet my wife and kids at the restaurant but before I could get there she pulled in and saw the restaurant wasn't closed.

That was disappointing but I also understand what the restaurant is up against. Monday night crowds typically aren't large for restaurants that don't have a big screen TV for Monday night football and the Indians were in the World Series, further pulling people away from dining out.

We went back on Tuesday. Again we were disappointed to learn the restaurant is closed on BOTH Mondays and Tuesdays.

It doesn't get much more small town than that. A restaurant that is only open five days per week understands how difficult it is going to be attracting enough customers to turn a profit and keep the doors open.

I have heard the food and service are top notch but it looks like it will be a while before I get my first taste.

I better hurry...there's no guarantee the place will be there in six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment