Thursday, July 25, 2019

Product Review: Built Bar Protein and Energy Bars

Built Bar Protein and Energy Bars aren't exactly a household name...yet. 

I was fortunate enough to receive a Mixed Box of Built Bars shortly after I was discharged from the hospital following my second stem cell transplant.

Ten years ago, during my first transplant, I basically lived on Muscle Milk. The protein drinks were beneficial to my diet but also helped me battle through some tough days when, due to side effects of chemotherapy, I felt nauseous and didn't feel much like eating typical solid foods.

I was excited to give Built Bar a try as I began my recovery from the second transplant, which took place on June 12. I remained in the hospital for 13 more days before returning home.

Again, there were certain foods I wasn't interested in consuming and I relied a lot on my Met-Rx meal replacement shakes.

I was hopeful the protein bars would both be nutritious and appetizing. I wasn't disappointed.

The Mixed box I received included 18 bars representing at least one of each flavor: Coconut, Banana, Mint Brownie, Mocha, Salted Caramel Chocolate, Double Chocolate Mousse, Orange, Vanilla, Raspberry and Mint.

I first grabbed a Salted Caramel Chocolate bar. 

First, I'll share the nutrition information with you:

  •  110 Calories, 15g Protein, 6g Fiber, 4g Fat, 4g Sugar
  • Gluten Free
  • NO Artificial Flavoring or Coloring
  • NO Artificial Preservatives
  • NO Nuts / NO Peanuts
  • NO GMO
  • NO Wax
  • NO Junk
Most bars I have eaten were in the 150-180 calorie range with less protein and more fat and sugar. Already I was impressed.

Vanilla Chocolate Creme
One thing I hate about protein bars is the consistency or texture of the bar. Most are very chewy and leave a bit of an aftertaste.

That wasn't the case with Built Bar.

It took just one bite to realize how different these bars are from most of the others. It was almost as if I had bitten into a Milky Way.

The bar was so soft and creamy with no aftertaste.

In fact, Built Bar promotes this feature on its website:

"The typical protein bar is dense, gritty, and difficult to chew. Not Built Bar. The texture is light and fluffy, and it is covered in perfectly tempered exotic chocolate. With each bite you take, you will think you are cheating on your diet, indulging on a chocolate dessert! There isn't a more delicious way to get your protein."

Built Bars are covered in 100-percent real chocolate. Your taste buds will thank you.

Next, I grabbed a Vanilla Chocolate Creme bar--yes, right after I ate the first one--and was even more impressed (I'm not a huge fan of Salted Chocolate in general). 

The vanilla creme bar was even creamier than the previous bar I tried. It certainly didn't seem like I was eating a protein bar. It was far too similar to a typical candy bar to believe there was any nutritious value.

Over the course of the next 10 days, I tried at least one bar in each flavor. There wasn't one I wouldn't purchase on its own but I do prefer having a variety of different flavors at my disposal so the mixed box or the build your own box Built Bar offers is a great opportunity to maximize your exposure to Built Bar.

I wasn't alone in the taste-testing.

My children both enjoyed the bars they tasted and my wife was a big fan.

She lost about 30 pounds relying on a steady diet of Luna Protein Bars. She now prefers the Built Bar.

Not only does she prefer the texture and taste of Built Bar, but the bars also have a better nutritional value than Luna bars.

From BuiltBar.com
Even if you don't trust the taste rankings you can easily compare the nutritional value of your favorite bars to Built Bar. The comparison above includes several of the top protein bar brands and it really isn't a competition.

Now for the important part--I'm going to rank each bar based on my own preferences. This is based strictly on taste.
Double Chocolate Mousse
  1. Banana Chocolate Cream
  2. Double Chocolate Mousse
  3. Vanilla Chocolate Creme
  4. Salted Caramel Chocolate
  5. Raspberry Chocolate Creme
  6. Mint Chocolate Cream
  7. Mint Brownie Delight
  8. Orange Chocolate Creme
  9. Mocha Chocolate Creme
  10. Coconut Chocolate Creme
Now, you have to determine your favorite! 

Click here to receive 10-percent off your order of Built Bar.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the discount and review. It's hard to find a low calorie snack that's gluten free and tastes good. I do think they could more prominently display that the bars are all gluten free on their website.

    ReplyDelete