Saturday, June 22, 2019

Day 17: Rounding third...

The big news out of Day 17 relates to my discharge. The doctors have targeted Monday, June 24 to send me home.

That's great news but I'm still cautiously optimistic. I remember 10 years ago when Dr. Cooper thought she'd get me home before Christmas and then one day passed and then another and another and another. I finally made it home on Dec. 26.

Those were among the hardest days of my entire hospital stay and I don't want to relive those moments.

I'm trying to stay focused on each day without looking ahead to a possible discharge.

Today, I'm on T+10, that's the 10th day after transplant, and so far, I've had no real side effects to mention.

The bouts of nausea I did encounter were minimal and I've now gone four days without anti-nausea meds.

I'm also getting stronger and have a bit more endurance.

Beginning with my first day in the hospital, I averaged about a mile per day walking the halls. Then on June 17, I hit three miles and since then I've been over three miles each day. I still get tired, but I can walk much longer than I was able to just a couple of weeks ago.

Jackson and Chelsey both had sleepovers last night so Paulette came and stayed the night with me. It was nice to have her here for more than just a few hours.

We woke up this morning and took a nice walk outside. There is no substitute for fresh air.

I don't expect much to happen today or tomorrow. I'll continue with all the meds and shots and my neurological testing to ensure I'm functioning normally.

After my discharge, I'll return to the hospital each day to have blood drawn and so the doctors can monitor me in person.

A shout out to Amy Harrington for the card and lottery tickets--I won big! I'm also told the Fortenbury/Domen families dropped off a card at the house. 

I'm so appreciative to all who have sent cards and gifts and the thoughts and prayers and words of encouragement. One of the hardest things to overcome in the hospital is the mental drag and the kind words from so many have helped me battle through that.

No comments:

Post a Comment