Saturday, May 25, 2019

Always listen to Her


Well, I learned a valuable lesson on Friday. Always listen to the wife.

I was feeling pretty well and I found out one of the teams I cover, Kirtland baseball, was playing at Berkshire at 4:30. I was so eager to get out of the house, I quickly arranged for Kirtland coach Luke Smrdel to pick me up so I didn't have to drive.

After making all the arrangements, I texted Paulette and asked her if I could go. She simply responded, "ok."

No capital letters. No enthusiasm about me getting out of the house. Just, "ok."

During the game, I barely moved.

I sat in the dugout along the third base line and took a few hundred pictures. I stood and sat when necessary.

By the third or fourth inning, I realized I probably wasn't quite ready to be out of the house for that long. I was drained.

I was probably only ready for a quick walk in the park with the dog. Instead, I worked through an extra-inning baseball game.

When I got home, I paid the price.

My body hurt in ways it's difficult to explain.

The pain bounced around my body as if it was playing Whack-A-Mole. Chest, leg, arm, abdomen, neck, foot, finger, hand. Repeat.

I'm not sure if it was the lack of blood cells transporting oxygen where it needed to go or what, but I had a tough time throughout the night.

I ended up in my recliner and realized I should have listened when Paulette told me I still have to take it easy.

Incidentally, I was hoping to get out to cover district track today. Yesterday's experience dismissed this thought. 

Anyway, we did receive two nice gifts yesterday.

The first came from the Revak family who dropped off a gift bag including some cards, a puzzle book, a puzzle and an awesome shirt (pictured right). 

One thing I did this week is order some shirts to wear during the hospital and I'll gladly include that one to the stock.

The other gift came from the people Paulette works with.

The gift bag (pictured above) included a lot of different items such as lottery tickets, candies that help fight nausea (I definitely used those last night), a soft blanket (also used that), a great shirt I'll unveil at the hospital and a bunch of other fun items.

It means a lot to us that so many people have thought of our family during this time. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, your dinners and your gifts and just thinking about us.

I am feeling better but my ideas of maybe covering track today and getting out to the Taste of Summer in the Flats are probably not going to happen. I will try and get out to enjoy the fresh air, but I'm going to stick close to home and get the rest Paulette told me I should focus on! 

I learned my lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment