Monday, November 14, 2016

Don't judge a rambutan by its hairy cover

If you have never considered eating a rambutan, the grape-like fruit encased in a hairy cover, you're missing out on a delectable and low calorie fruit snack.


Admit it, you've never heard of a rambutan before.

Neither had I until I was shopping in the produce section this morning and stumbled upon these odd little fruits. I like to try new things so I added the package to my cart and cracked into them as soon as I returned home.

To open the rambutan, a fruit typically found in Southeast Asia, you have to cut around the fruit, directly through the middle is perfect. Once you do that you can pull off one side of the hairy cover then the other to remove the fruit from its wrapper.

Careful, there is an almond-like pit inside the fruit. 

The texture and taste of the rambutan is similar to that of a grape. It also tastes a lot like a grape. It was very sweet without any bitterness.

Consider adding the rambutan to your next grocery list.






No comments:

Post a Comment