Thursday, July 19, 2012

Overwhelmed by guilt

I love to read, although I'm guilty of neglecting that passion far too often.


Back in 2009 when I was going through chemotherapy I had plenty of time to sit and turn the pages. Often I found myself reading about the struggles of others. The topic wasn't always about a person that battled Cancer, but struggles are struggles.

Something I read during that time has remained with me. I can't remember the book's title but I'll never forget the words.

The author stated he sometimes felt guilty for surviving Cancer while so many others weren't as fortunate.

Should I feel guilty for being here today almost three and a half years after being diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma, a disease that has a 50-percent survival rate over five years?

Of course I shouldn't, but, as the author wrote, it's sometimes hard to reconcile my survival with the loss of so many others.

That guilty feeling really hit home today when my aunt told me her friend's young son is terminal. He's been fighting MDS a long, long time and today she reported his last transfusion failed and his time is short.

I don't know the little boy or his parents but the news tore a hole in my heart.

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal."





No comments:

Post a Comment