Thursday, June 20, 2019

Day 15: The Home Stretch

Everything related to my physical health has continued to go well here in the third week of my stay at Seidman Cancer Center.

My blood counts are climbing and all of the other numbers are normal or very close to normal. More importantly, I'm on the eighth day after the transplant and have had no side effects.

All of the above is good news.

What I'm battling now is simply keeping my mind right.

I have a daily routine I follow that includes walking, a stretch-band workout, my Spanish and guitar lessons, reading and writing. Rinse. Repeat. 

At this point, it's getting very difficult to stick to the routine. The days are stretching out and time seems to stand still.

Yesterday was the worst day as far as me climbing the walls. I just couldn't stay focused on a task and I'm itching to get out of here.

Dr. Cooper said I'd likely be here through the weekend, which means I'm probably getting discharged on Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm still trying not to think about any particular day as I don't want to be disappointed if that day comes and I'm still stuck here.

Today is my 16th day in the hospital and my eighth day after the transplant. We're trying to get through 10 days post-transplant without any side effects. 

Side effects can continue beyond the 10-day mark but the doctors have seen most of the bad effects occur during that first 10-day period.

Now, I'm off to do more walking.

I hope you enjoy this original poem, which adequately describes my feelings being confined to these same four walls.



No comments:

Post a Comment